Thursday, June 17, 2021



Swan 350C

I found this Swan transceiver from the 60's on eBay for an excellent price with free shipping! It is in excellent condition but lacks the necessary power supply, so that is my next quest. I'll replace some of the original electrolytic capacitors and it should be good to go.

 Heathkit Cheyenne Transceiver

Picked up a 60's transceiver at a ham swap meet. It needed some work, including replacing some of the electrolytic capacitors, rewiring it for 6.3VAC tube filaments and replacing the changeover relay. I also changed the microphone jack to be compatible with my Astatic D-104 8-pin connector. I 3D printed an adapter (blue plastic piece) to allow the smaller diameter jack to fit the larger original mic jack hole. Also, this transceiver requires an external power supply, so building one will be required.

Replaced the relay on left that was "chattering" with the one on the right.


3D printed adapter for 8-pin mic jack

Power Supply for Cheyenne Transceiver

Power supply provides 600VDC, 300VDC and 6.3VAC

I had some of the PS components on hand, but needed a transformer, the 20Watt resistors and the Cinch-Jones 6-pin connectors that the Cheyenne uses for power input. The voltage output is a little high with out a load but should be within specs with a load.

Found one of the tubes bad so I just ordered replacements for all the tubes except the 6146 power output tube. I have another on hand in case that one is bad.

Next steps are to get the Cheyenne aligned.




No comments:

Post a Comment

New Project Hallicrafters SX-101A Communications Receiver Saw this for sale on ebay and just could not resist. This is one of ham radio rece...