Saturday, September 5, 2020

Regenerative Short Wave Receiver - No. 23?

Wandering the intertubes, I found a website by Dave Richards (AA7EE), a ham radio enthusiast, who has built a number of amazing shortwave radios. His workmanship and skill were inspiring. One of his projects, the Sproutie MK II regenerative short wave radio (https://aa7ee.wordpress.com/2015/09/14/the-sproutie-mk-ii-hf-regen-receiver/) was about the best example of the genre I have ever seen. I just had to give it a try and attempt to make something that I was proud of, even though I was sure that I didn't have the experience (and probably skill) to come up to the level of Mr. Richards.

This is my attempt. I used the same circuits and a lot of Dave Richards ideas, so there isn't much new here. But the radio works quite well, although I am still making coils to try it on other shortwave bands.

Here are a few photos of the radio I built.

The case is quarter sawn white oak and the panels are standard 19" aluminum rack mount panels. The center knob is tuning and the large knob on the right is fine tuning (bandspead). To the left of the center dial is the regenerative control. It is the heart of a regen radio and was used for the very early radios in the early 20th century. The speaker is in the top panel.





Below is what the inside of the radio looks like.


Below is an example of an audio filter that removes some of the noise/static that is always present on the shortwave bands. It didn't make it into the final radio, although four others did.



No comments:

Post a Comment

New Project Hallicrafters SX-101A Communications Receiver Saw this for sale on ebay and just could not resist. This is one of ham radio rece...